With all our time being spent at home, it’s good to make sure that we are doing what we can to make it a sustainable place to be. I don’t know about you, but I feel so much more at peace when I know that the products I bring into my home won’t negatively affect myself, my family, or the environment.
Here are a few ways you can make your home experience a little more sustainable.
DISPOSE YOUR WASTE PROPERLY. Since most, if not all, of the waste you create will be contained to your home, now is a great time to learn about what you throw away. Check your city’s website to see how to dispose of those items.
- Waste Masters has a great general guide on disposing different items.
- ShareWaste is a great app that can connect you to your local composter.
- If you live in Central Valley, California, contact Earthworn ACC and they can get you set up with a worm bin.
SAVE ENERGY. Using LED lights, unplugging unused electronics, shortening showers, washing clothes in cold water, and line drying clothes are all ways you save energy and money.
- Energy Star has some great tips on how you can save energy around your home.
GET SOME PLANTS. Having houseplants can do a lot for your health and the environment of your home. They are natural air purifiers and pull carbon dioxide and other toxins out of the air as well as adding moisture.
- If you’re unsure what plant to get, Foliage has a great questionnaire to help you out.
USE NATURAL BEAUTY AND CLEANING PRODUCTS. The products we use not only affect our bodies, but the environment too. Products like soap and makeup end up in the water supply after we wash them off. A lot of these products are easy to make from things you may already have at home.
- Elate Cosmetics has sustainable cosmetic products that are low waste, vegan, and cruelty free.
- Blueland creates cleaning products that helps eliminate single-use plastic.
- Going Zero Waste has a lot of DIYs on products you can make yourself.
Even if you put one or two of the tips into action, you’re on your way to an eco-conscious home!